Wednesday, June 4, 2008

What I'm Doing on my Summer Vacation

I should probably post about what I'm going to be up to in the coming months. Long story short, I applied for and got an internship position at the Disaster Research Center at the University of Delaware. Every summer, they bring students to the DRC to learn about the social science aspects of disasters. I fly out on Sunday and I'll be there through August 8th. It's a fantastic program - they pay for my housing in a UD dorm and I also get a weekly stipend. The goal is for each intern to develop their own research project, which will continue through the academic year. This will be the basis for the lovely senior thesis I (stupidly?) signed up for.

I've known about this since February, but of course it didn't seem real until a week ago. I'm excited and terrified. I get learn stuff and meet people, but this is going to be a lot of hard work. At the moment the excitement is slightly more elevated than the nervousness.

My work at the DRC might affect the material of my posts, but don't expect juicy office gossip. We're a bunch of social scientists, remember.

No comments: