Sunday, August 22, 2010

Last day of summer

Tomorrow I go back to school - a classroom full of three-year-olds.

I know I'm much more prepared than I was before. I know I have more skills. I know that when my kids don't do what I tell them, I don't need to freak out because I can get them back on task.

I keep thinking about tomorrow. I know what I'm going to wear, so I know how I'll look. I know what my classroom looks like, so that's set. But as much and as carefully as I plan, there's no guarantee that anything will go the way I want it to. I can envision my kinds coming in, sitting down, following directions. But then all I can do is think about how easily it can go to hell.

I know I can't think about it too much. I've planned, I know the main parts of what the day will be. Obsessing about what can go wrong won't help me. I need to walk in there with confidence - even if I have to fake it.

3 comments:

Tiptoe said...

Good luck tomorrow. First days hardly ever go perfectly, but all I can say is have is do the best you can even if it is faking it.

Btw, I like the pic of you in high school, and it is easy to look back now and realize we were better looking than we ever thought then.

Misty said...

Lisa,
I didn't realize they were so young! 3 is a very difficult age to deal with. My little monster is nearing 3 right now and she's beginning to think for herself...Or to put it better, she does what she wants, when she wants.
And I only deal with one! I suppose this time next year I will be feeling some of this anxiety as I (hopefully) begin working as a TA.

:) :)

-Mist

I Hate to Weight said...

how did it go? hope it was okay. 3 year olds are young! i can't imagine doing what you're doing.

i really hope this year is easier. do you think you're particularly tough on yourself?

good luck with the new school year!!!