Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Education

To Every Teacher I've Maligned:

I'm sorry. Your job is hella hard.

Okay, I know what I'm doing at the interview isn't really teaching. If I get into Teach for America, I'll have a subject, a grade level, curricula and learning objectives. I'll have stuff to work with (with which to work - forgive me, I'm thinking about grammar lessons). With this assignment, I can do anything I want, for any grade level. It's too much: the First Amendment or the difference between a simile and a metaphor? Subject and predicate agreement, writing concisely or the 1970s oil embargo?

Part of the problem is that I haven't done this in a long time. College classes were such a wonderful change from what I knew - I didn't have to ask before I went to the bathroom! No one was going to give me detention for gum or a travel mug! Now I have to go back to all those memories and try to dig out the good lessons, the ones that stuck and made sense. Oi.


1 comment:

Cammy said...

I hear you on this one! I'm co-teaching a freshman class this semester, and it has been eye-opening. I always thought I had a lot of respect for my teachers/professors, but it has been taken to a whole new level now that I've gotten a taste of it myself!

I'm sure you'll be fantastic, do make sure to update us on what you choose to teach about for your interview! Can you use powerpoint, props, handouts, etc?