Thursday, June 17, 2010

Three days

Dear Mrs. Palczinski: I know why you dumped out my second-grade classmate's desk and made her clean it up. It wasn't a stellar moment for you, but I know why you did it. Children do it to you.

There are three days left in the school year. I honestly did not think I would make it this far - if you'd asked me in January what summer was like, I would not have been able to tell you. It was too far away to make sense. It was bad then - but it's gotten better. There are still times when I want to pull my hair out, but at least I know what I'm doing most of the time.

It's hard to believe how much has happened. A year ago I'd just graduated from college. I'd been engaged for three weeks, and I was about to move 800 miles from home to start a new life and a new job. I had no idea what I was getting into.

D.C. summers are notoriously hot and muggy. Bring it on.

3 comments:

The Thrifty Book Nerd said...

Congrats on making it. I admire what you do as a teacher. One of the people who inspired me to write was my 11th grade English teacher. You make a difference. Summers in the South are just as hot and muggy.

Sarah (your sister) said...

You are way more awesome than you think you are. I am glad that you don't always feel like pulling your hair out--your hair is effing gorgeous.

Maybe in August I will get a chance to experience a hot and muggy DC weekend? I am having trouble believing that August exists right now, but we shall see.


PS: It's Palczynski. It would have been hypocritical of me to correct her spelling without knowing how her name was spelled. :D

Lisa said...

However it's spelled, it's Polish for "crazy old bat."