Friday, May 9, 2008

Hello, My Name Is

If I were meeting you in person, I'd shake your hand, smile, and say "Hi, I'm Lisa." You'd be able to tell by looking at me that I'm a woman in my (very) early 20s who likes unusual earrings. I might be wearing a shirt that indicates I'm a student at a public university in the Midwest, and I'd be carrying a bag full of books to support that assumption.

It might end there. But if you talked to me for a few minutes, I'd tell you that I'm a third-year anthropology student. I love what I study, so I'd likely explain what I do and why I enjoy it. But after that, I'd probably start asking you questions.

You'd have to talk to me a while longer before you'd find out that I love strawberries, I'm a feminist (or I try to be), I like to listen to people, and I'm allergic to cats. It might take even longer to learn what kind of books I read, the jokes I like (dirty ones) the music I listen to, and what my favorite drink is. It might not come up, but I have a big family, a Significant Other, and a lot on my mind.

As for this blog, you can expect to read my take on being a student, Important Current Events, and my more coherent observations. I'll do my best to keep the collegiate angst to a minimum (except when I think you might get a laugh out of it).

So what was your name again?

No comments: